I have not received my voter registration card and the form I submitted may have been incomplete, can I still correct my application and vote in this election?

Yes. If you turned in your voter registration form before the voter registration deadline, and you are qualified to register to vote, you can still vote in the November 6, 2018 election even if your registration form was incomplete. You have a right to correct an incomplete registration form under Tennessee law, Tenn. Code Ann. § 2-2-109.

You can correct your application and vote early or on Election Day.

  • Early VotingWe recommend correcting your registration form and voting at an early voting location as soon as possible, so you have plenty of time to ask questions. You can take care of correcting your registration form and voting in a single trip: simply head to any early voting location in your county.
  • Election Day Voting: You can also correct your registration form and vote at your assigned polling place on November 6.

If you submitted a timely, but incomplete or deficient, voter registration form, you are nonetheless entitled to vote a regular ballot so long as you correct the deficiency on or before the November 6 election. You should not be required to vote a provisional ballot. In any case, if you believe you are eligible to vote, but your name does not appear on the voter registration list, under no circumstance should you leave the polling place without at least voting a provisional ballot.

Remember to bring a form of photo identification with you to the polling place. This ID must have your name and a photo, and it must be issued by Tennessee or the US Government. Examples would include a driver’s license, passport, gun permit, military ID, VA ID, etc. Even an expired photo ID issued by the State or Federal government will work. If you don’t think you have a photo ID, or can’t afford to get one, or have any other questions, please contact us and we can help.

To be eligible to register to vote, you must be a citizen of the United States, 18 years of age or older before the election, and a resident of Tennessee. Also, if you have been convicted of a felony, you might not be eligible to register and vote. If you have been convicted of a felony, please contact us for more information, or call the State Elections Division at 1-877-850-4959, who can help answer your questions.


What ID is required when voting?

All voters must present a federal or Tennessee state ID containing the voter’s name and photograph when voting at the polls, whether voting early or on Election Day unless an exemption below applies. The information on this website is provided to ensure that all Tennessee voters have access to information about the law.


What IDs are acceptable?

Any of the following IDs may be used, even if expired:

  • Tennessee driver license with your photo
  • United States Passport
  • Photo ID issued by the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security
  • Photo ID issued by the federal or Tennessee state government
  • United States Military photo ID
  • Tennessee handgun carry permit with your photo

What IDs are not acceptable?

College student IDs and photo IDs not issued by the federal or Tennessee state government are NOT acceptable. This includes county or city issued photo IDs, such as library cards, and photo IDs issued by other states.


Who is exempt?

  • Voters who vote absentee by mail (view requirements here)
  • Voters who are residents of a licensed nursing home or assisted living center and who vote at the facility       
  • Voters who are hospitalized
  • Voters with a religious objection to being photographed
  • Voters who are indigent and unable to obtain a photo ID without paying a fee

What if I registered by mail and am voting in my first election?

Federal law requires first time voters who register by mail to present one of the following:

  • A current photo identification with voter’s name and photo OR
  • If the photo identification is expired, the voter must also present one of the following: a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows the voter’s name and address.

Is an expired photo ID acceptable?

Yes, as long as it was validly issued by the federal or Tennessee state government and contains the name and photograph of the voter.


Is my photo ID acceptable?

If you are unsure or have questions about your photo ID, contact your county election commission or the Division of Elections at 1-877-850-4959.


What if I don’t bring a photo ID to the polling place?

If you don’t bring a photo ID, you will vote a provisional ballot. You will then have two (2) business days after Election Day to return to the election commission office to show a valid photo ID. Upon returning to the election commission office, the voter will sign an affidavit and a copy of the voter’s photo ID will be made to be reviewed by the counting board.


What if I don’t have a photo ID?

You may obtain a free photo ID to vote from the Department of Safety and Homeland Security at any participating driver service center across the state. You may use the “express service” line at the driver service center to obtain your photo ID to minimize wait times. Visit the Department of Safety and Homeland Security's Voter Photo ID page for more information.


Where is my nearest driver service center?

Visit the Department of Safety and Homeland Security's Driver Service Center Locations page for information about locations and hours, closure advisories, and self-service kiosks and online renewal.


What will I need to get a free photo ID from the Department of Safety and Homeland Security?

You will need:

  • Proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate), and
  • Two proofs of Tennessee residency (such as a voter registration card, a utility bill, vehicle registration or title, or bank statement).
  • If your name differs from that on your primary ID, proof of the changed name (such as a certified marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order, etc.)

Learn more about the required documents at the Department of Safety and Homeland Security's Voter Photo ID page.


I have a driver license, but it doesn’t have a photo.  Can I use it to vote?

No, but if you do not have another form of valid photo ID, the Department of Safety and Homeland Security will reissue your license with your photo for free upon request.


Can I get a free photo ID card even if I have one of the other acceptable forms of photo ID?

No.  If you already have a valid government-issued photo ID for voting purposes, the Department of Safety and Homeland Security will not issue a free photo ID to you.


I can’t afford a copy of my birth certificate, so I can’t get a photo ID.  Can I still vote?

Yes.  If you cannot afford a copy of the documents required to obtain a free photo ID, you may sign a form stating under oath that you are indigent and have been unable to obtain an acceptable photo ID for voting without paying a fee.